What we do
No secrets behind our oysters
Knowing exactly where your oysters came from is vital for for any chef. It’s the methods we use to get them tasting and looking as good as they do when they arrive in your kitchen, that sets us apart, so we’re only too happy to share those methods with you.
7 reasons to buy your oysters from Achill
- Taste: The stock we raise are Pacific Oysters (crassostrea gigas), although their diet is 100% Atlantic – filtered from the Class A certified wild waters off the west coast of Ireland. They grow in a sandy bay, which lies atop an ancient, sunken peat bog – the source of our oysters’ unique taste.
- Healthiness: Grown in certified Class A waters, they’re completely free of artificial foods or additives, and are purified in saltwater before delivery.
- Size & Shape: Our oysters’ deep cup is derived from the constant movement of the ocean through the trestles, and our tending to them. We shake the bags regularly to boost the meat content of the animals and get that deep cup shape.
- Freshness: We have our own dedicated dispatch centre in Ennis, Co. Clare, where we can store and purify our live oysters, plus native oysters, Achill Island lobsters, and other locally produced shellfish when in season, ready for delivery next day.
- Traceability: Our produce is always packaged with details on the source of our oysters, and we deliver locally ourselves whenever we can. We’ll let you know if they’re from Achill, or one of the other small west coast farms we source from – each of which produce shellfish of equally high quality, and a unique taste.
- Heritage: Traditionally grown using trestles & bags, we’re carrying on a tradition that’s been in operation for centuries – and helping make sure it’ll still be going strong for centuries’ to come.
- Sustainability: With a commitment to sustainable farming that benefits our landscape, the wider environment, our local community and economy, you’ll be supporting ethical business every time you enjoy one of our oysters.